Skip to main content

It Takes a Village

It was one of those mornings we all know about. Complete chaos and and multiple trips to different schools, finishing up homework, signing papers, and realizing I hadn't gotten myself ready to go to work. Everybody was late and I forgot my cell phone.

I came home a little early feeling sick. One of my colleagues is a little sensitive about being around sick people. Something about low white blood cells and leukemia. I was greeted with the electronic voice on my answering machine, "You have two new messages." The secretary at the school had called an hour and half before to inform me that my 9 year old son was throwing up. After frantically searching for 10 minutes, I finally found that my mother had been contacted and he was safely at her house.

I called my mom. She calmly informed me that she had picked him up and taken him to her house where she made chicken noodle soup served with saltines. He told me the sordid story on the telephone of standing in line for lunch and throwing up just before he got his food. Being 9 years old, he added the color and consistency then said, "Are you laughing?" I tried not to because regurgitation is a very serious issue in the 3rd grade. Especially in the lunchroom.

My mom got on the phone. She didn't want me to pick him up yet. She told me that it was privilege to take care of him. That's the kind of mother I have. That's the kind of mother she's always been. She sees it as privilege to be called in times of need.

Two hours later, my dad picked up my 11 year old daughter from school and brought her and her brother home. He thinks it is a privilege to pick them up from school every day. They can walk. The school is close by. But wants to do it.

Who is the privileged one in this family? Me.

Comments

  1. I've got one of those mothers too...but for all of her wonderfulness (and she is), she still makes me bonkers from time to time! Hope you don't get the gom-boo too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...