Skip to main content

It's Only a Flesh Wound

I caved and went to the InstaCare to check if I needed stitches on my finger. My husband kept telling me it looked disgusting and making throw up noises like a 9 year old boy.

I really hate going to the doctor for myself unless I really know I am in physical trouble. I don't like the way the doctor raises his eyebrows as I explain my malady and he then pretends to care as he pokes and prods, finally declaring there is nothing he can do. It's only a:
As it turns out, he would have put in a couple of stitches had I showed up within 6 hours of the slice and dice incident. Too late now so he offered to super glue it closed and promised it wouldn't scrape off (it did) and I wouldn't need to keep it covered with a bandage (I would).

Just to be extra helpful, he asked when the last time I had a tetanus shot. "Five years ago," I quickly replied.

"Really?"

Long awkward pause. "Nine years ago?"

Now the doctor was staring at me.

"Sixteen years ago."

Five minutes later, I had a band-aid on my arm and my 4 year old had a sticker for being such a good helper. He also had an ice pack because he complained he had bumped his head. The things that kid will do for conversation.

It's 12 hours later and I feel like someone took a couple dozen pot shots on my arm. Someone with the Incredible Hulk muscles.

I wonder how long it's been since Mr. Taylor has had a tetanus shot?

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh-you better get him one! What if someone stabbed him with a rusty spoon!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're on the mend. Be thankful for that painful shot. If you read the symptoms and prognosis of a bout of tetanus, you'd probably take Mr. Taylor and the clan to the doctor posthaste for their booster shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I have never had a tetanus shot. Should I be worried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you didnt need stitches. My dad had to get them a couple of years ago & he said it was the most painful thing he's ever had done. My husbands fix is always super glue, not stitches. His mom's an RN & she used to always super glue his cuts (I wonder if it burns?).

    I had my last tetanus shot 4 years ago & my arm still hurts everytime I think about it. Good thing is you wont need one for another 5-10 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your kiddo got a sticker and ice pack at YOUR appointment.

    Hope the arm feels better today. I think it's probably been around 16 years for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last tetanus was in my rear end. I felt like I had bent over to pick a flower and a raging bull had used me for target practise

    ReplyDelete
  7. My last tetanus was in my rear end. I felt like I had bent over to pick a flower and a raging bull had used me for target practise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor you, at least you didn't have to get stitches...oooh the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh tetanus shots HURT!! I sliced myself on a rusty fence a few years ago and was sure I'd just had a shot. Turns out 18 years is my definition of "just". Sorry, doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have amputated my finger in the kitchen sink. (not really)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this made me wonder when I had one last....hmm definitely over the 10 years that you are supposed to go. Ouch , it makes me hurt to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...