Skip to main content

The Elephant in the Room

Saturday my brother baptized my sister-in-law. It was a beautiful day and very touching. I'd go on and on about what a neat experience it was but there was an elephant in the room. Something I was trying really hard to ignore.

The presiding member of the bishopric happens to be an old friend of mine. We went to school together from age 12 until we graduated from high school. Probably never exchanged more words than "Hi" and "How are you" until after Mormon mission. That's when we were in the singles ward together.

Back to the present, I asked him about his parents and asked where they lived. He replied, "They still live in the subdivision on the other side of the gully."

"Of course," I reply, "I came over that one night with Jill and..."

And there was the elephant.

Let's play a game of pretend. If the conversation continued, what might have been said?

**********************************************
"Rob," he would have finished.

"Who? I honestly can't remember who was there that night."

"Rob, the Australian. I worked with him."

"I vaguely remember him," I might have said.

"Weren't you two kids talking about marriage about that time?" he might have asked.

"Uh, that might have been about the time."

"Whatever happened to him, anyway?"

"Oh, after he started discussing our future together, he briefly had to return to Australia to take care of some business."

"What kind of business?"

"A divorce. It seems he had forgotten to get one before coming to the states."

"He was married?! Did you know?"

This is where I would give the obligatory glare. "Of course not! He told me he was divorced."

"How long was he gone?"

"Two weeks."

"What happened when he got back?"

"He married a beauty queen and never spoke to me again. He also became a police officer for a nearby city, made a routine traffic stop, shot the guy 10 times, the guy lived and sued, and Rob, the Australian, was fired."

"Wow. How did you know that?"

"He was on the news. With his still beautiful wife and six kids."

There would be nowhere to go after that. Like a wet blanket, the campfire would be put out. End of conversation.

Instead, he let the unfinished sentence stay unfinished, watched my eyes dart back and forth, checking if anybody was listening, and we continued discussing the mundane.

In the words of Alexander, who had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, maybe I should move to Australia. I probably wouldn't meet any ghosts from my past there.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! How awkward! Looks like you dodged a bullet there. (No pun intended. Sort of. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful baptism!

    Holy crap! Nice tension, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would this man bring up all that old stuff? It was a day of celebration, and it turned into the History Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love an occasional reminder that if I got everything that I thought I wanted, I would be screwed.

    P.S. You are the real beauty queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! That's a great story. I mean, I have some doozies myself, but that one...Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to write about the elephant. Very creative- much more so than I ever would be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can think of nothing clever to say...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was one big elephant...

    And man, that must have been so awkward for you. At least it's over & the odds of it coming up again, I'm sure, are pretty slim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spare room is ready, the weather is just warming up, sausages are ready to throw on the barbie and a bottle of cold bubbles is in the fridge waiting to be popped.

    What are you waiting for?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After Gina's you can come over to our place :}

    I'm quite brave for those encounters now though. Will walk in far deeper than I would have ever before at least.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...