Skip to main content

Ballerina Scouts

Once a week I exchange my usual uniform - t-shirt and jeans/khakis - for t-shirt, jeans/khakis with an extra large tan shirt emblazoned with "Boy Scouts of America" in red thread. I wear it well.

Last den meeting, another leader had planned to do a physical fitness component but got a little green around the gills. In order to pass this requirement, the boys were to perform a bunch of specific stretches before engaging in combat activities.


I grabbed Liz's manual and looked at the stretches. I had all the boys line up in front of me and demonstrated each stretch. They looked at me with concentration and followed me exactly. Just for fun, I tried the "warrior" yoga pose. They followed me. Could they do ballet? I put my feet and hands in second position. I went through
plié, relevé, grand plié. Each boy followed me without question. I pushed it a little further with rond de jambe, tendu, and finally demi-plién transitioning into glissade. I stopped myself before attempting fouetté rond de jambe en tournant. That would be obvious.

"Are you teaching us Yoga poses?" one 9 year old boy asked with a disgusted look on his face.

I could honestly say that I was not.

Comments

  1. Tee hee. They will thank you later. Football players learn ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha- Since they are 9 is it a Bear den?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone had asked, I'd have said they were ninja training moves...cuz maybe they are...who knows, I'm not a ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Junes answer...tell them they are ninja moves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious!

    And cute new look, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to have been a fly on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oy! I have learnt that ballet is great for self-defense! Teach boys that a grand battement is an excellent attack with proper aim.

    I for one, would have been stunned if you'd gotten them to perform a fouetté rond de jambe en tournant in one session. If so, I would beg of you to come help me work on mine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...