Skip to main content

On Being Peculiar (Pt. I)

The summer I was 20, my mother took my 12 year old sister and I on the road to see her sister in British Columbia, Canada. My aunt was married to a has-been football star who was a sports commentator at a local radio station. They had two children who were roughly my age. I hadn't seen them since I was very young so it was a good opportunity to reacquaint myself with them.

Everybody liked Uncle Tom. He's the kind of dad that everybody wishes they had. When I say "everybody," I exclude my mother and grandmother who couldn't stand him. There were reasons, I have later discovered, but at the time, he had the house to have a party.

My cousin, Bobby, had planned a party for Sunday. He invited me multiple times so I was sure I'd be going. On that Sunday, my mom, sister and I got up, dressed, and left the house to find a Mormon church for services. I noticed that there were already a scant handful of young adults lounging by the pool. Uncle Tom had set out a case of cold beer.

We returned a couple of hours later and ate brunch and then... nothing. Bored. There were three empty cases of beer pushed to the side, an empty pool (empty of people, not water, mind you) and about ten people lounging around. Another couple of hours passed and I finally talked my sister into going out to the pool with me.

We sat at the edge, hanging our legs into the water. We were still bored. Then a beautiful being sat up from a lounge chair. He was gorgeous. I watched him look our way and grab Uncle Tom as he brought out another case of beer. A minute later, Tom and beautiful person approached.

"Nancy, this is Freddie (I'm not joking). To Freddie, "Freddie, this is my niece, Nancy. She's from Utah. She's Mormon." It seemed that Uncle Tom said the last bit as a warning to Freddie.

Freddie was charming. My sister returned indoors and I hung out at the pool. Freddie was attentive. He was respectful. He understood that "Mormon" meant I didn't drink. He offered me a soda. As the crowd thickened and the cases of beer were showing up and disappearing more frequently, the dirty jokes were abundant. Freddie defended my honor by asking them to refrain.

By the time the party started winding down, everybody was pretty much sloshed except me but including Freddie. It had been an interesting party and I had a good time but I was not disappointed to have it over. Freddie was cute but he was drunk and not quite as cute as he was when he was sober. I appreciated his attention to me but I chalked it up to my charming personality.

Freddie started making innuendos of what he planned on doing to me when he got me alone. I laughed them off since Uncle Tom had clearly warned him that I was Mormon. He kept at it until I spelled it out for him.

Freddie was stunned. Freddie suddenly didn't want to be around my charming personality anymore. Freddie was more than disappointed. He was also mortified. Freddie was going home alone. In front of all of his friends. He had to work fast to not leave the party alone.

And so I left so he could save face.

At the time I thought Uncle Tom was acting as a paternal figure to me when he warned Freddie that I was Mormon. I have since reinterpreted the tone. He was warning Freddie. Now I understand why my mother didn't like Uncle Tom (tip of the iceberg, people).

Freddie did not leave the party alone.

But I was still charming. Really.


To be continued...

Comments

  1. I don't know if I can do charming...my knob seems to be stuck at smartass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keg Party vs. Church Social

    You are the charming one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this sounds good!

    And it sounds like you were the charming one :)

    ... especially cause you can teach 9 year old boys ballet without them realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for standing up for what you believed in. I can't wait for installment number 2!

    I'm so excited that you are going to participate in my book exchange. Will you email me your mailing address and any preferences for books (genre/content, etc) to help make the matches easier?
    jagelees@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. That last comment was me. I was logged into the wrong account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm looking forward to installment number 2.

    Uncle Tom - interesting fellow I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm...yeah. I'm impressed that you left so he could save face. I don't think I would have been so kind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...