Skip to main content

Put On Your Crown


When Queen Latifah started making her way in the Hollywood scene, I was put off. A self proclaimed queen? Give me a break. I have since changed my tune. She knew back in her twenties what I'm only learning in my forties. My approach is a little different but the conclusion is the same. We are worthy to be called "queens."  It is innate. We are made of divine matter (my conclusions of why we are queens). Yet our favorite past times seem to be to beat ourselves up for our perceived weaknesses. 

Modeled after Maria Shriver's Just Who Will You Be, Queen Latifah's goal with Put On Your Crown is to help young women build a strong sense of self-esteem. A US Dept. of Justice survey found that females ages 16-24 are more vulnerable to partner violence than any other group, almost triple the national average. Queen Latifah has always been a shining example of a woman happy with herself and unwilling to compromise to fit into the "hollywood ideal" of what a confident beautiful woman should look like. The result: She's one of the biggest A-list celebrities in Hollywood.


GUESS WHAT?! Three lucky readers will get this book for free!!! Wahoo!!

Leave a comment here with your email address and your queenly name or kingdom. 

 I am Queen of Chocolate.  I am working on my 4th cupcake right now.  {Don't you be judging me.}

For an extra entry, become a follower of my review blog. Include an extra comment.

Contest open to U.S. and Canada residents. Contest ends May 15, 2010.

*This books is being provided by Hatchette Book Groups. Thank you, Anna! Although I received a review copy, I am under no obligation to endorse product. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

They Call Me Grace

I was nearly 8 years old when my baby sister was born. This was quite fortunate since I was well adept at reading. I was tired of my name. Nancy. So plain. The Sunday comics included a comic strip called Nancy. She hung out with her stupid little boyfriend named Russell, was very boring and cried all the time. Why would parents who love their child name her such a boring name? I assumed they had run out of originality by this point. I was, after all, their third child. There was Mike, then Suzy, after me they had Joey (short for Joanne) and finally Jene Marie. The "j" a soft French slur. It was fitting. We had a French surname. But clearly Jene Marie was their crowning glory. Do I hate for taking all the love from my parents and hogging it for herself? Of course not. She's my sister. She's my baby sister. But if I happen to feel the need to speak to her when she's at work, I always ask for her by using both names; Jene Marie (with the schwa). I don't want her...