Skip to main content

What We Eat

Check out the good looking crew.  Just to clarify.  I'm the pretty one.

There's a little mountain resort in Northern Utah that is invaded every July by this group of people. We are an intimidating bunch.

5 years ago my brother brought his Nepalese bride to the United States.  She lived in a country where she had no expectation to ever drive a car.  She bought her food daily from the market and ate it.  She taught English, although her accent was so strong when she arrived I questioned her grasp of the language.  We tried to be friendly and accepting.  We ended up scaring the daylights out of her.

She thought we were crazy.  Her words, not mine.

Although I think she tolerated me a little better than the others because I had the brand new fair-haired baby that she continued to steal.  She wanted a blond haired, blue eyed baby and wondered what her chances were now that she married an American.

We take turns cooking for the family dinners.  We noticed she wasn't eating.  In fact, my brother informed us that she was hungry and didn't eat any of our food.  He intimated that we didn't really know how to cook.  Actually, he said it like this, "No offense, but you really don't know how to cook."  Okay, single-brother-in-his-middle-forties, you've just ended all dinner invitations.

We also passively-aggressively spit in his food before serving him the rest of the week.

By Monday, my brother and his wife went home.  She was too hungry to stay.  We felt bad and wondered if the lasagna was over-seasoned or she didn't eat meat or perhaps the rolls were too sweet.

This summer she told the story.

That night she was so hungry and determined to eat.  The food was blessed and her crazy new family took large servings of green stuff that she'd never seen before.  It was green.  It looked disgusting.  That's when she started to cry.

It was lettuce.

Fortunately, she stayed.
And added to the cousin count.
And is now a member of this crazy family.

She took her turn serving dinner this year, as she has the past four years. 

She served a green salad as a side dish.

Comments

  1. So instead of getting her to "drink the Kool-aid" to indoctrinate her into the family, you merely got her to eat the salad?

    Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. Lettuce can be quite evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute story. You have to introduce lettuce slowly as to not startle people! What else does she cook now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a cute story...we tend to think of our food as "normal" and forget that in other parts of the world they don't eat anything like us.

    I'm a delayed new follower for follow friday! come say hello sometime... http://readitorseeit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salad freaks me out too.

    Just kidding, I love it, but I can see how it might be slightly intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often said that if I went to Asia, I would only eat white rice. It's interesting to hear it from the other side...

    Poor thing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...