Skip to main content

Being Vintage

I realize the season finale aired in June but, thanks to the beautiful invention of DVR, I saved Glee for today. Mostly, I wanted to hear Josh Groban sing.  He did not.

Regardless, I was not disappointed.  In retrospect, I realize the song choices for this season were primarily from the 1980s.

Let's recap:

Journey - Don't Stop Believin', Faithfully
Kiss - Beth and another big hair song.
Grease - You're the One That I Want
Eric Carmen - All By Myself
Heart - Alone
Bon Jovi - It's My Life
The Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me
Madonna - Papa Don't Preach, etc., etc.
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight this Feelin'
Rick Springfield - Jesse's Girl
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
Queen
Billy Idol
Olivia Newton John (the be-otch!) - Physical
Little House on the Prairie with Michael Landon ending every episode in tears.

Do you see it?  The vintage music.  It's haute.  This is my era. Am I vintage or am I haute?  Strange, I used to be striving for haute but we spelled it differently when I was singing along to Survivor and Bonnie Tyler, using my Lady Speedstick as my make-believe microphone.

Regardless, the new adjectives are preferable to the old ones; middle age.

For your happy memories and enjoyment, I present you with the ultimate vintage air band starring my favorite band with no name (as far as I can remember).  It's Boston with Ted, the janitor, Lloyd, and Turk.  Let's embrace our vintage-ness.  We are haute.

Comments

  1. Oh, crap! I don't know if it recorded this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna be haute, but I think I am vintage...

    Can I bring back my eighties hairdo now? I had great hair in the eghties...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That episode on Scrubs was one of my all time fav's!

    GLee's list sounds fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, Nance, aren't you glad we lived in the era when music made you want to be a singer and musician? this is why I listen to 103.5 on the radio. well, when i get to choose the station. my daughters love Glee and now they think I'm haute - woot woot- because I know the music. Psych also does a lot of 80's music and jokes. of course i laugh the hardest becaues i get it. thanks for the music memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I aspire to "haute." Calling oneself "vintage" sounds better than "antique." (And in my case it's only sort of a lie. Just a fib, really. Few more years, and then I will have no choice but to go by "relic.")

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...