Skip to main content

Being Dethroned

I've always been my dad's favorite child.  Although he denied for years, the evidence was obvious to my sibs and me.  He took me on outings, he gave me small gifts, he let me accompany him to his office where he saw patients and I cleaned the office all day, walked downtown to Trolley Square, and he took me out to lunch - things like that.  I have accepted it and occasionally rub it in a sister's face.  Because I'm mature like that. 

My dad often picks up my son from school and brings him home because I'm his favorite daughter and all.  Last week he came inside and talked.  I told him we joined the city rec center. 

"How much did it cost you?"

"$328."

"That's about what I pay."

"For you and Mom?"

He looked guilty.  "No."

"Oh."  He was on a grandparent plan and paying for my older sister's family, too.

He told me I could use his car while my van was getting fixed since my customization last month.

"Which car?" I asked.

"I only have one car."

"What happened to the Avalon?"

"It's at college."

That's when it hit me.  I'd been dethroned.  My niece had dethroned me as the favorite daughter.  Being the mature adult that I am I wailed, "I've been dethroned!" 

"No, no.  You haven't been dethroned.  Lindsey just needs a little more help."

"You're helping her because you pity her."

"Sure."

"Is that why I was the favorite daughter all those years?"




"Dad?"

"No, no.  Of course not."

Comments

  1. Wow your dad seems like he has a giving and loving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! This post made me that much happier that I am the only girl in our family! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still the favorite. But my family is not as healthy as yours. We do not discuss it AT ALL with the sibs. They just think I am spoiled...

    bwaa haaa haa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me LAUGH OUT LOUD!

    Your poor dad being on the spot and all.

    I'm pretty open about which one is my favorite kid. WHichever one isn't annoying me, pissing me off, or being a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm calling my mom right now and asking exactly WHY I'm the favorite!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

Wordful Wednesday and Clever Much? Rarely!

Sometimes my brilliance blinds me! Speaking of brilliance, before we continue this discussion, if you are my mother in law, stop reading. Walk away. At least until after Christmas. Seriously. My own mother doesn't read my blog. I think it has something to do with words like "socially awkward" and "mortifying." She knows me. She doesn't have to read about me. She can just pretend like I turned out normal. Anyway, if the mother-in-law has exited the website, check out what she's getting for Christmas! TADA! I'd like to give a special shout out to the internet and whatever site I was cruising through last week for planting this idea into my head. Usually not this creative and I definitely don't know where I got the energy to take the kids out for pictures. Or go to Walmart for the frame. And Robert's for the mat. Costco for the pictures.  Yeah, I painted the frame, too. So not my style. Anymore. I also ordered a canvas print for my husband but I...