Skip to main content

The Judgmental Educators

In my younger years I had a lot of judgment to dole out.  I sat above the crowd and looked down my nose at those parents who just didn't take their role seriously.  I am now one of the crowd in the arena.

My 6 year old informed me he wasn't going to kindergarten.  He wanted to stay home and play with me.

Okay.

He's my 4th child, my last and I do enjoy a few stolen hours, just the two of us.

I arrived at work later that day to be greeted by my colleagues who were in a quandary. For various reasons, they all planned on taking the day off on Friday.  Could I possibly come all day that day instead of my usual half day. "Sure," I replied.  "If I can't find someone to pick up my son, I'll do what I did today and just keep him with me all day."

Five women, including my two bosses, entered suspended animation. All action ceased. All eyes on the mutant mother.

"You seriously do that?" one judgmental colleague asked.

My dear, dear friend, Angela, quipped, "And it's not the first time she's done it this year, either."  All mouths gaped just a little bit wider.

Thanks, Ange.

"And I suppose neither of you (pointing to the two women - both my bosses -that have children of various ages) have never checked a child out of school early to babysit for a half hour?" Expressions changed to horror.  I was a complete freak of nature claiming to be an educator.

I panicked and went for broke.  I unscrewed the cap of my Diet Coke, turned to leave the office and called out, "Thanks for the rum, Angela!  You're right.  It does make Diet Coke taste better!"

If I'm going down, I'm not going alone.

Comments

  1. It's not the checking a child out half an hour that either bothers or concerns me, it's the "home schooling" parents that are using their older ones to babysit the younger ones so they can do what they want. Actually, what probably surprised your colleagues the most is that you ENJOY being with your kids, like I do. That is amazing and incomprehensible to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, let me clarify. I know many fabulous home schooling parents that are attentive and work hard with their kids. I was referring to the "others"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do what you gotta do! I was the bad mom that checked her kids out for "an appointment" and we went to the movies.

    Meh - they are grown and good men and doing good things with their lives and we all love each other.

    TO each his own I say - I am too busy beating my ownself up over stupid things than to take time to judge someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned to my judgy mcjudgester dismay, that whenever I say I would never or my kids would never... we do. So, I don't say that any more.

    I took my kids out of school the week after school vacation to take them to disney. I stink.

    P.S. I love that you took Angela down with you... perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They should be glad that you're willing to come in all day, so they can enjoy a day off.

    They shouldn't judge until they've walked a mile in your footwear of choice (make sure they pinch).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You let our son skip kindergarten!!?? Guess I don't need to save for his college now since he'll never get admitted any place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, you are an awesome mom! I totally support planned school excuses. I did it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right there with you-Kennedy got up at 2 am to watch the Royal Wedding with me. About 4 am she asks if she could sleep in and go to school late. 10:40 am she wakes up- it is too late for her to make it to school by her goal of 11:15 am. She is high maintenance will not leave the house until everything is perfect. She asks if she could just skip the day. I agreed- all for the Royal Wedding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...