Skip to main content

Timer and a Tripod

The most challenging aspect of Christmas if finding a picture of the family for a Christmas card. I stopped sending rubber stamped updates years ago since "snark" didn't go over as well as you'd think. Nobody wanted to know how many of the neighbor children I'd successfully taught to swear by simply watching me chase the dog through the streets, waving a leash.

They can boast about their enterprising "Scentsy" home business and their child who nearly was a Sterling Scholar but I can't tastefully mention my daughter's new dating life trickling because I keep asking the young men to return on Monday nights to teach a lesson for Family Home Evening on virtue?

Still, I can't quite give up the family picture but there is always the issue of an acceptable picture with all family members in the frame looking respectable. So I bought a mini-tripod and gave myself the one minute lesson on camera timers on our last weekend vacation to Mirror Lake.

Notice anybody missing?

Three kids not looking at the camera and the photographer is still missing.


All family members accounted for. Four of the six not looking at the camera.

5 seconds is not nearly enough.

Four kids. Two adults. All six looking at the camera with a pleasant expression.

Yes, I did climb onto that rock and balance myself in the allotted 5 second window.

On the other hand, if I were to write the Christmas card right now, I might mention all the positives we are accomplishing and they are many and varied!

Like...

11 year old boy is perfecting his attitude to line up with the dictionary's definition of "surly."
6 year old boy talks non-stop unless he's asleep.
13 year old girl is teaching me how easy I had it when her older sister hit her teenage years.
16 year old is trying to shield her friends and dates from meeting her mother.
The father of the family is practicing patience and long-suffering. Emphasis on long-suffering.
The mother is working tirelessly to mortify all members of the family.

There you go. My Christmas card in August.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. Love it! You always help me feel so much better about child rearing, we must have been "typical", just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 4th one the best. It's unfortunate that you can't see the youngest's face, but he is the baby... he'll get over it with all the other disappointments in life :-)...

    Love the pics. You have a beautiful family. Well done, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a timer on my camera but have absolutely no clue how to use it, haha. I think the last one came out great & nice job with the balancing act!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look on your oldest child's face in the third one...is she giving you the stink eye?

    Great job on the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on your children's progression this year, I'd say you are doing a damn fine job!

    Love the pictures

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

I am being published!

I know! It just reeks of excitement, doesn't it?  I know what you are thinking. "Who would publish that woman's thoughts?" The answer is a lovely little outfit called www.blog2print.com. In other words, I haven't been discovered. I am no closer to being a published author than I was yesterday EXCEPT that by Christmas I will be the proud owner of my very own blog book! I know. It's a little anticlimactic but here's the cool part. My friend, Becki, found me entertaining and directed me to a blog called www.josikilpack.blogspot.com.  She posted a little coupon code for 20% off which was supposed to end last week. Apparently, the code is still good and I saved $14. That said, you know it isn't exactly the cheapest way to get published but it's the best price I could find on publishing my blog!  And it requires very little technical know-how.  And that, my friends, tickles my heart. And, for a small price of your integrity and dignity, I will share the ...

The Pretender

Sadly, our photographer was unaware that the focal point of this picture was not supposed to be our bellybuttons. Imagine me with the top of my head, and you have the Fabulous Four, so named by me, just now. What can I say about these ladies besides they are amazing and I cherish their friendship? Kristy, the one on the far right owns a dance studio. She is the catalyst of the Fab Four. She decided to open her studio again, a few years after having her second child and I signed my girls up as soon as they could walk. While there, I found an adult class and, after two years of contemplating, decided to try it out. It was hard.  It  hurt. But I would dream I could fly after every class. Kristy's second child was diagnosed with  Epidermolysis bullosa , a rare, painful, and often eventually fatal skin disease. As her daughter's skin blistered upon touch, bled and peeled off, Kristy pulled up herself up by her bootstraps and created clothing that didn't damage her daughter's...