Skip to main content

The Neighbor

We have new neighbors. I really hadn't met them yet but Scott had. They have four children ages 8, 6, 4, and 2. My 7 year old is in heaven.

Yesterday the 6 and 4 year old came over to play. After awhile the father, Travis, came to check on them. "Is Hayley here?" he asked. "Was she invited or did she just come over?" I was sitting in the living room so he couldn't see me but my 12 year old son gave the appropriate answers. Yes, Hayley was invited. In truth, I have no idea. In truth, I don't care. Come one, come all.

An hour later Travis showed up again. This time I answered the door and he got his first exposure to me.

"Hi. I'm Travis. James' dad. We're going out to eat now."

"Okay," I answered.

Pause.

"We're taking everybody to Olive Garden," he continued.

"Sounds great," I countered.

Pause.

"Not to be rude or anything but why are telling me this? Oh! Are you inviting me? Great! I'll go grab my shoes!"

Travis looked surprised and slightly uncomfortable. Fortunately, Scott came to the rescue. "The kids are downstairs. Nancy will go get them." I will? Oh. I will.

I returned to overhear Travis telling Scott what a nice neighborhood we have. "We're thinking we're going to put our roots down here but we really need to step up our game. It seems that everybody's pretty high quality around here. We're from rather rough stock," he admitted.

I jumped in. "Yes, everybody here really is pretty high quality." Beat. "By the way, I have a twin sister who lives here. Sometimes she chases the dog down the street, swearing. She's a little rough around the edges."

Travis looked a little confused and wary. Again, Scott came to the rescue. "Hey, your wife is backing out of the driveway. Have fun at Olive Garden!"

People just don't get me.

Comments

  1. I'm sure he was awed by your very presence, and was struck dumb by your wise, albeit snarky, comments.

    Baby steps...you'll teach that guy dry wit in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will grow on them. It took me a while to get used to a butt pinch at work. But, I soon grew to expect it. I haven't had a Nancy pinch in years. What's wrong? You don't find me sexy anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - we are THOSE neighbors :) And your comments are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nancy you are a hoot!! So glad you are in the neighborhood. Poor
    Travis. He will learn in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. but your husband does. he seems to rescue you often. hahahaha. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may never go back and read this, but......................OK, I'm back--had to grab a tissue to wipe my eyes which were so full of laughing tears I couldn't see my monitor--just wanted you to know that I felt like I was in the room while you were meeting and conversing with Travis. Loved it. Loved it a lot. Laughed hard because I could just see it. You are a master at painting pictures with the written word. I hope you do read this, because I want you to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan

    I read all the comments. Because I am shallow and need the validation. Still, poor Travis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Braces!

13 year old got braces today! She also had a little helper on her.

Christmas Gifts

Jill is the slice of home baked pie you long for. Her dad was a farmer. His dad was a farmer. On a hot summer day Jill would call me up to go floating down the canal or ride the slick rocks with the stream into a barely thawed pool of water. She's also the girl I called one day when I was bored and offered to drive two hours and try out this new thing called "Bungee Jumping." We did although I can't remember why . The first year after my college graduation I found myself particularly low on pride.  First of all, I was a college graduate working as a sales clerk.  Too late I discovered that a bachelors degree in sociology is equal to a high school diploma and, in some cases, a G.E.D. and got you hired at JC Penney trying to upsale with a colorful scarf.  On top of it, I'd been dumped.  It wasn't that he was the love of my life.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  He started planning the wedding aloud and I freaked out, pointing out that we'd only bee...

They Call Me Grace

I was nearly 8 years old when my baby sister was born. This was quite fortunate since I was well adept at reading. I was tired of my name. Nancy. So plain. The Sunday comics included a comic strip called Nancy. She hung out with her stupid little boyfriend named Russell, was very boring and cried all the time. Why would parents who love their child name her such a boring name? I assumed they had run out of originality by this point. I was, after all, their third child. There was Mike, then Suzy, after me they had Joey (short for Joanne) and finally Jene Marie. The "j" a soft French slur. It was fitting. We had a French surname. But clearly Jene Marie was their crowning glory. Do I hate for taking all the love from my parents and hogging it for herself? Of course not. She's my sister. She's my baby sister. But if I happen to feel the need to speak to her when she's at work, I always ask for her by using both names; Jene Marie (with the schwa). I don't want her...